Ad Space For Rent

The Town Accentric: The Food Blog! is now selling Ad Space. Email me at backporchspiceco@ gmail.com for more details.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Vegetarian Taco

Ok, this is going to be a short and quick post for one simple reason:  I did a cooking demo yesterday for Mayfest at the Farmers Fresh CSA in Carrollton, GA and folks wanted  the recipe...period.  Patricia is not one of my best Spice Customers, she outshines them all and when she says she needs help, I don't even think about it...I'm there.  She asked if I would cook for Mayfest, so I cooked for Mayfest.

I took 4-5 pounds of Grass Fed Beef and worked some magic on it, put it in the Crock Pot for about 12 hours, then added Back Porch Spice Company Taco Spice Mix (this is not a shameless plug, its just what I did) and it was some seriously tasty Taco.  About 2 weeks ago I did the same thing for the CSA's Open House and people freaked out about how good it was with the exception of a few vegetarians politely declined to try it..and one Militant Vegetarian for whom I was the worst for of Human Being because I was serving something that used to have a pulse.  Anyway.

This time around, I was looking forward to the Vegetarians polite declination of tasty goodness because I had a Vegetarian Option.  There were a couple of people that tried the VegOp but it was when I ran out of beef that I had no choice but to tell people "All I have is the Vegetarian version".  Much to my surprise, most people took the plunge and said "Sure, gimme that".  All of them walked away talking about how good it was.
The real hit came when I had 3 or 4 hardcore Carnivores show up and tell me that if I could impress them, then I would have something.  Not only did they leave impressed but I had one fellow that walked away before he was forced to admit that I was right and one young lady who said, quite plainly "I have a lot of Vegetarian friends and their food is terrible.  It's nothing like this".

One of the hardcore folks and quite a few of the Vegetarians asked for the recipe, which is very simple, but no one seemed inclined to remember it...which is when most of them threw out the comment "It's on your website, right?"  Um...no, its not.  Leaving people impressed and not wanting them to leave thinking The Spice Guy was a slacker, I had to throw out a promise that I am here to back up.  "The Recipe will be on my Blog tomorrow".  So..........

The Vegetarian Taco
A dirt simple recipe that even my 9 year old stepson loved.  That means something since when I grill steaks, he wants the left over juice from the platter.

One block Extra Firm Tofu
One block Three Grain Tempeh (a fermented grain product available in most produce sections)
One box Reese's Minnesota Wild Rice
One Packet Back Porch Spice Company Taco Spice Mix (again, not tooting my own horn, its just what I used)
Garlic Olive Oil (homemade)
Vegetable Stock

Follow the directions on the box to cook the rice.  Cook and let cool on the stove top until it can be handled without burning yourself.  Now, dump the rice, tempeh, and tofu into a large bowl and crush and mix together with your hands until the grains in the tempeh and the tofu are in small bits.  At this point, mix in the Taco Spice until you get to the level of tasty you desire.  At this point, you can let it stand for a while for the flavors to get good and deep or you can take it to the stove immediately.

So you've decided to take it to the stove.  Great.  You absolutely, positively, without equivocation MUST use a non-stick pan.  Tofu is straight protein and, as the Science of Cooking dictates, Protein wants to stick.  Get your nonstick pan hot over medium high heat and add about 2 tbsp Garlic Olive oil and heat it until it shimmers.  Brown as much of the Veg mixture as you like (either 1 taco or 10) and once it is slightly brown and the pan is hot, add about 2 tbsp Vegetable Stock and wait for the sizzle.

That last step is important because there is potato starch in all taco mixes and it makes that tasty taco "Gravy" that is familiar to most of us.  The problem with trying to follow the directions on the back of the pack is, if you leave grains and tofo to simmer too long, it will turn to mush and you really want some texture.

There you have it, for all you folks that asked for the recipe and I promised to deliver to.  To my new Blog Observers, Welcome.  I cook some cool stuff and have a bunch of cocktails while I do.  Just look around while you're here and you're bound to find something that will strike your fancy.  I have a good time no matter what I do...or at least I try.  To my regular Observers, I had a Ball Game after the Mayfest Demo, came home and fired up the Grill for BBQ and Teryaki chicken breast chunks and thighs with sauteed Green Beans and New Red Potatoes...and about 8 of the 12 pack of Guinness's that were in the fridge...after all, I have an Image to maintain.

As Always..........
Party Well, Eat Better
Rob

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Rob. You share the recipe and technique. Thanks! I've been on a holy grail quest for the perfect veggie taco and you may have led me down that righteous path towards culinary nirvana.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete