Ad Space For Rent

The Town Accentric: The Food Blog! is now selling Ad Space. Email me at backporchspiceco@ gmail.com for more details.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Market Demo of the Year

First, sorry the Blog is late this week.  So many things, so little time, and writing isn't paying the bills yet so, unfortunately, it comes after all else.  Alas, maybe one day.......

So anyway, Jana has been on me since last year to come to her Farmers Market and do some cooking.  She had come to the Cotton Mill Farmers Market in Carrollton, GA to see me cook numerous times and had invited me more times than I can count.  Timing was always wrong and before we knew it, the season had wrapped up and I didn't get a chance to go to Bowdon, GA for her Market.  This year, she began emailing me in February to make double damn sure she could lock me down for her first Market of the year.

The day comes, plans are made, things are set...and it's raining cats and dogs.  I asked if she wanted to postpone until the next week since my Market has yet to open.  I was informed that "This thing is on rain or shine!".  The good news is Raul, the owner of Los Palomas Restaurant had given us the use of his front patio for cooking.  I can honestly say that I was the most comfortable person that day since I was out of the rain, the wind, and standing behind to traveling stoves to keep me warm...or at least warmer than most that day.

The last pertinent bit of information is that, as usual, I had no freakin' clue what I was about to cook upon my arrival.  It is my mission and my pride to show up to any Market, gather a few things, and create.  However, I quickly realized that it had been at least six months since I had to do this, I had taken great care of a large bottle of Pinot Noir the night before, and I was staring at a table full of ingredients with a giant blank spot in my brain.  Oh, wait.  There it is.......

Crispy Fried Pork with Fig Balsamic Reduction

1 Lb. Boston Butt or Pork Loin, sliced
1 cup All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp Granulated Garlic
1 Tsp. Granulated Onion
1 Tsp. Fresh Ground Pepper
Oil for Frying
Sea Salt and Pepper

Cut the pork into 1/2 inch slices and pound thin.  Both cuts of pork (Butt and Loin) are rather tough unless pounded thin or cooked for a long time.  Simply salt and pepper the meat, then mix all dry ingredients as a dredge.  Toss cutlets in dredge and let sit for a few minutes.  Fry in oil until golden brown.

1/4 cup Black Mission Fig Preserves
1/4 cup Caramelized Vidalia Onions
3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup Pork Stock
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in one pot bring to a low boil, stirring very often.  When reduced by half or to a medium thick syrup, puree to a smooth consistency and adjust flavor with salt and pepper as needed.  Drizzle a tablespoon or so over each cutlet.

A simple little recipe that makes great finger food or a simple appetizer.

That's about it for right now.  There was another recipe that I pulled off but I will save that for later.  I know I usually have more to add but with some many project going on this year, time for writing has gotten thin.  However, I will have more to add as the season progresses.

As always,
Party Well, Eat Better
Rob





No comments:

Post a Comment