Ad Space For Rent

The Town Accentric: The Food Blog! is now selling Ad Space. Email me at backporchspiceco@ gmail.com for more details.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Backlash and The Invincible Drunk / The 'Hooch Trip

There is nothing more to say than I am so freaking pumped up and absolutely wiped out, all at the same time. We were invited by friends to camp out and kayak the Chattahoochee River this weekend and it was a trial from the word Go.  I am burnt to a crisp, I'm spent, I can't believe that I'm actually writing...and I couldn't be happier.  I will also say that this may not be the pinnacle of my literary works.  My brain is as tired as I am so please forgive mt typo's.
This weekends Crew. Front row is Backlash and Terri.
Back row from left to right Troy, Ashley, Myself, Andrew,
Russell, and Gina

More than just a few recipes I come up with are created during the one week a year when Gina and Andrew go to New Orleans and I am left to buy as much wine as I like, cook all the things that I eat and they don't, and try new things because if they suck, no ones here to miss dinner.  This weeks tale will include one such recipe but I really have a tale to tell of good friends, new friends, good food, and one Hell of a good time.

Gina gets a hold of me while she's in NOLA and asks if I want to go kayaking and camping.  Of course the answer is "Yes" but I know she is going to roll in and were going to have to, quite literally, leave within minutes of her getting back off a 6 hour drive.  There's also the money aspect of it and things are a little tight so I put it on her:  If you think we can and you're up to it, we're there.  And so out story begins.

Friday April 8, 2012
While in the middle of her drive back, our good friend Russell and new friend Terri (you will remember her from the post "Silence of the Lamb...Literally") go to the campsite to get started setting up camp.  Terri will be our guide on this little adventure working for Timothy, the Outfitter.  After we finished the preliminaries, we all parted ways to get a few things out of the way in preparation for the weekends events.  I returned home to start pre-cooking a few things to make sure we didn't got without, food wise, over the weekend.

Now, at some point, firewood came into question and both Terri and Russell said they had plenty of firewood not far away and they would contract Timothy to help tow it in.  At this point, I will admit that a tired mind is forgetting the exact details, but I know that Russell had claimed to have tied a "Well Engineered Knot" to the wagon/wheelbarrow that was to tow the firewood in.  I also know that, upon arrival at the camp site, said wheelbarrow was no more and no less than missing.  Somewhere in the journey to the campsite, the cart containing the firewood went missing.  No clue as to where it parted ways, no idea of where to recover it, it was gone.  The last fact I have relating to this is that out of this melee, somehow, our outfitter Timothy earned the name "Backlash".

Gina ran in the door, we threw together some things while forgetting other and headed out the door.  A quick stop at SuperMegaEverthingEverDesiredForCheap Mart (I do feel dirty after the visit) and were off.  We arrived, hauled gear, and I got to cooking.

Shrimp and Grits with Smoked Speck Gravy
I've wanted to try this for a while and finally got around to it while they gang was out of town.

1-2 lbs Gulf Shrimp, peeled and deveined
8-10 slices Smoked Speck (a dry cured meat much like prosciutto)
2 cups Organic Grits (dry)
1 small Shallot, finely diced
2 cloves Garlic, finely diced
3-4 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
4 tbsp Roux (there's a Blog Post for that)
2 cups heavy cream
1-2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet of Gravy Master (caramel coloring)
2 cups water
Chopped Green Onions
Salt and Pepper to taste

Start by frying the Speck as you would bacon until its crispy, saving the remaining fat.  This step will add the same depth of flavor as when frying bacon.  When crispy, place in 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer.  This will create what is, essentially, a broth.  While that is simmering, add the shallots and garlic to the leftover fat and saute until translucent.  Try to avoid adding salt to the saute.  It does help break the aromatics down but the salt content of the Speck is quite high.  Wait until you're closer to the end to season.

Throw the shallots and garlic into the pot with the speck and puree with a stick blender or use a small food processor.  Either way, puree until smooth, bring to a mild simmer and add the roux.  When this begins to thicken, add the heavy cream until it reaches the gravy style consistency you desire and finish by adding the caramel coloring.  This adds the caramelized flavors that would come from a simple pan gravy using a deglaze or drippings.

At this point, I'm not going to insult your intelligence by telling you exactly how to cook the shrimp and grits..  Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning on the shrimp and saute in butter until done.  Cook the grits to your liking (some like them thicker, thinner, etc.). Plate a large scoop of grits, tops with gravy, then shrimp, then green onions.

Add wine, campfire smoke, and about 8 very unique personalities and you have one hell of a camp side meal.  In the interest of complete disclosure, I did the gravy at home before we left, but the rest was on site.

Saturday April 9, 2012
The day begins much as I expected it would:  Feeling as if I had been grazed by a large truck that tasted vaguely of red wine.  No matter, camp coffee, grilled ham and cheese sandwichs and leftovers for breakfast.  We had to be on the river around Noon and thats all we knew and thats all we cared about.

Joe and Inga
That morning, we had met a couple camping a few sites over.  Within minutes, Joe and Inga were fast friends and they ended up spending that Saturday river trip running with our crew.  Andrew had his fishing pole and Joe had one as well and by the time the day was coming to an end, they were ahead of the group and chatting away like they had known each other for years.  Terri showed up around 10:30am with a glass of Cabernet in hand trying to get everyone's plans coordinated and we were off shortly after that.

A day on the river makes a group hungry...and quite thirsty.  After everyone had run to town, home, the store, and all over the surrounding area for the last of the needed wine, beer, and ingredients, it was time to settle in for another huge meal and a night of laughs.  The red wine had been opened, a few beers displaced, and the camp stove came to life.

Chicken Marsala

There are a few ways to do this but here is my way.  It also should be noted that I could have added this or tweaked that but I want you to ask yourself this question:  When was the last time you went camping and had Chicken Marsala?

7 Chicken Breasts, pounded flat and cut across the grain into 2 pieces
2 cups Flour
2 tbsp Fine Sea Salt
1 tbsp fresh ground Black Pepper
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 cups sliced Portabella Mushrooms
1 medium shallot, finely diced
5 cloves Roasted Garlic
1 1/2 cups Marsala Wine
1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
Olive oil and Butter for frying
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, add enough olive oil and butter (1 to 1) for frying.  Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the flour and dredge the breast pieces.  Shake to coat and leave to sit for just a moment.  Fry over medium high heat, adding oil and/or butter as needed, until golden brown and set aside.  As you end the frying process, there should be a good bit of flour in the bottom of the pan.  Just leave it there for now.

Add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic to the pan and saute until the aromatics are translucent and the mushrooms have wilted sufficiently.  When these are done, add another 2 tbsp of the dredge flour to the pan and stir in, allowing it to brown just a bit.  While the pan is still quite hot, pour in the Marsala and whisk very well to keep the lumps out.  When very thick, add heavy cream until it reaches your desired level of thickness.  Serve over pasta of your choosing, next to a fire, with 6-8 friends, after a day on the river.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Terri had roasted garlic and corn over the fire as well as having salad, sweet peppers, and just a general abundance of additions to the meal.  I would love to say that I took care of everything but the truth is, I did the main course and she had the rest.

When the meal was complete, Russell's grand daughter (and our very good friends and all around great person) Ashley broke out a guitar and the night was well under way.  Unfortunately, Joe and Inga decided to pass out before dinner but the rest of the crew hung as long as they could.  One by one they players fell away and took to their beds.  When everything had shaken out, there were three left sitting around the fire and knowing they had too much:  Ashley, Myself, Terri....and Terri's $80 wine glass that goes everywhere with her.  Even to the woods.

Sunday April 10, 2012
After rolling around next to Gina for what seemed like half a day, I decided that coffee and some attempt at breakfast was probably a good idea.  I say "some attempt" because in all of our running the night before, everyone had forgotten to get breakfast makings.  Of course, by saying "everyone" I mean no one else knew they were supposed to get them and I was responsible for it.....and I stone. cold forgot.

As I get coffee moving I notice Russel sitting by his fire and I decide to join him.  He informs me that Tim (Backlash) and Terri have already run to town before anyone woke to get biscuits and coffee.  Knowing that Terri had been our river guide all day, had eaten a huge meal, and then was one of the last to leave the fire I told Russel "My God, the woman is the Invincible Drunk".  And so it came to pass that Russell and I have new Super Hero's who are in need of a comic book.  The River Guides, Backlash and the Invincible Drunk.

All day Sunday was spent on the river.  Terri leading the way and our little group stopping to snack from time to time and just generally having a blast.

As I mentioned, this post is about some good food but it's really about good friends we have, good friends we met over the weekend, and good times that don't have to involve a night out or an elaborate meal.  Sometimes, the best things come to us when we don't expect them and I hope everyone that reads this has the blessing that my extended family have.  We have the ability to laugh at each other, to take everyone for who they are, and to accept anyone into our lives who is the same way.

Party Well, Eat Better
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment