Ad Space For Rent

The Town Accentric: The Food Blog! is now selling Ad Space. Email me at backporchspiceco@ gmail.com for more details.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentines Dinner Out

Just took Gina out for a great dinner at a local steakhouse and, whenever I throw caution and my cash card to the wind, I rediscover my true loves, remember flavor profiles that I had forgotten, and I always seem to discover something new.  Most of the things we encountered tonight were stand by's, things we've had before and enjoy, yet, Gina ventured off to an all natural chicken dish that was quite impressive.  I'll bring that recipe to you soon as I have to replicate it then serve it to friends to make sure it's what I thought it should be.  For now, however........

The night starts with a waiter that we've had before and that was both a good and a bad thing.  To keep this short and sweet, our service was decent, perhaps a tad slow at times (I hate it when I'm drinking Makers Mark and Coke and my glass sits empty for more than a few minutes), but nothing worth fussing over and the fact that I was having dinner with My Girl helped the time pass well.  At one point, I did ask if he was having an OK night.  "You seem kind of tense", I said kindly.  Gina suggested I leave a larger tip so he could buy a shot.  Maybe it would help.  Anyway.........

I'll sample things from both plates for this weeks recipes, and they are:

Simple Seared Salmon
Parmesan Green Beans
Port Wine (Not a recipe.  More of an explanation.)

Last week, I lit off on a tirade about.........some stuff, but I lead off the story with having completed a perfectly seared salmon fillet.  Having salmon two weeks in a row isn't really that big a deal for me.  It's actually better for me than the normal "Two Steaks for Dinner and One for Dessert" mentality that I have.  The cool thing was, the spice prep they used for the salmon was very close to my own.  When you sit down at one of the towns finest eateries to find that they have the same approach to a dish as you do, you leave with a certain sense of accomplishment.  The good news is, the preparation is very simple and can be altered to carry many different tastes.

Simple Seared Salmon

One, very nice Salmon Fillet
1 cup Organic Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar (This is a MUST.  See Below)
3 Tbsp fine grain Sea Salt
3 Tbsp fresh ground Pepper
1 Tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 Tsp Sweet Paprika

Salmon is a fatty fish, very moist, and the worst possible thing that can happen to to let it dry out.  The beauty of this rub is that the sugar and the salt draw out surface liquids in the same way a "Cure" for lox or Scottish Smoked Salmon would which, when seared, helps lock in the moisture.  Apply this rub about 15 minutes before you're ready to cook and you will notice it turn from a dry component to a wet coating.  Make sure to apply it to every fleshy surface.  If it doesn't have skin on it, it has rub on it.

At this point, either grill the salmon over nice. medium high bed of coals or pan sear it on the stove over medium high heat.  Always put the flesh side down first as this is the "Presentation Side".  When searing something, you always want to put the side that you're going to present down first.  The cooking surface is at it hottest and will create the best sear...and the best look.  Also, make sure to sear all fleshy surfaces well so there is no escape hatch for fats and moisture. If you are working with the tail portion of the fillet, there will be only one end to sear.  Body portions will have two sides to work on.

About the sugar: I usually tell people that I prefer they use the organic, cane juice sugar anyway but In this case, it's a must.  White sugar carries no flavors, it's just an acid, and is really bad for you anyway.  Cane juice sugar carries a slight caramel taste which intensifies during the sear and helps the garlic keep from becoming too bitter, as happens when it burns.

The great thing about the above mixture is its simplicity.  It creates a beautiful crust on the fish, doesn't over power it with too many flavors, and it can be very easily altered to change the flavor profile completely.  Try adding these to the above base:

Traditional Salmon Flavor
1 Tsp fresh lemon zest, very finely chopped
1 Tsp Fresh Dill (1/2 Tsp dry)

Bourbon Bee Salmon
3 Tbsp Quality Bourbon
2 Tbsp Wildflower Honey

In this case, you're adding liquids to a dry base.  You will need to mix it very well which means breaking out he Kitchenaid with the whisk attachment, food processor, hand mixer, etc.  One way or another, you'll need to blend it very well and you'll come up with something that resembles a brown sugar consistency, but not quite as sticky.

The combinations are endless and you should try whatever suits your likes.  It's nearly impossible to go wrong as long as you don't overpower or dry out the salmon.

Parmesan Green Beans

Ah, the lowly Green Bean.  Most of the poor unfortunates around my age grew up with green beans from a can which should be regarded as either an ingredient for Green Bean Casserole with those crunchy onions on top (which I do enjoy) or, when served straight from the can and microwave, as a crime against Humanity.

Fresh green beans are available at nearly every supermarket and organic, locally grown ones are (of course) the best.  A quick saute and treated right, they will be the light of your life and define most dishes you serve them with.  No matter the recipe for fresh, sauteed Green Beans, you always want to hit them hard and fast with olive oil and a high heat.  The trick is very lightly browning the beans just a bit then adding whatever flavors you like after the fact, and letting the beans absorb them as they cool.  Try this on for size.

1 lb. Fresh Green Beans
1/2 Tsp. fresh Lemon Zest divided in half
Course Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
Olive Oil to saute (about 3-4 Tbsp)
1/4 cup grated Grana, Parmesan, Romano, Asiago or other nutty, hard Italian cheese.

Heat the olive oil to a low heat and add pepper and half the lemon zest to extract the oils.  Let this go for a few minutes but try not to burn the zest as it does put the flavors off a bit.  Make sure to get all of the zest out before proceeding. The pepper can stay as long as it wants.

After clearing the debris from the olive oil, bring to a medium high heat and throw the beans in, let them sit for a moment to brown in a couple of spots then toss quickly until the heat of the pan comes down a bit.  You can finish these to your desired level crispy but I let them get juts a bit wrinkled and I know they're done.

Immediately place on paper towels to drain while shaking them around a bit.  You want to remove excess oil while still keeping the beans as hot as possible.  Quickly place in a bowl and toss with the grated cheese and remaining zest until the cheese begins to melt and stick to the beans.  Hard Italian cheeses of the Grana family tend to be saltier than most, so you'll want to taste one before adding salt.  If you do have to add salt, try adding a Smoked or Black Lava salt.  The dark colors make a great contrast.  If you like a bit more lemon flavor, squeeze just a few drops over them as they cool but don't let that flavor overwhelm the rest.  You'll be left with a beautiful contrast in colors and a crisp, fresh flavor that compliments steaks, chicken, or whatever you line them up next to.

Port Wine

I wanted to take a minute and step outside my normal realm to introduce some folks to Port Wine.  By now, everyone should know that I am a self described "Good Time Party Boy" and I make no secret of my love of cocktails.  However, I have mos certainly evolved over time to know that what you drink, it's lineage, and its place in your meal are way more important than the end result of multiple toddies.  That's where Port comes in.  On this night, I found a Port that even Gina liked (she's quite fussy about her wine) and I will admit that it took me quite by surprise.

Port is simply a fortified wine that originally came from a very small region of Portugal (aptly called Port) and, when discovered, the British fell in love with it.  The problem was that it took to long to get back to England with the wine and some enterprising soul decided that adding brandy made from the wine itself would, indeed, keep it long enough to get it back to England.  Its intention is to be served as a dessert wine as a finish to a meal and I promise, this is a tradition you want to find yourself adhering to.  No matter what you've decided to enjoy for a meal, a cordial of Port will ensure that your meal came to a proper close.

I'll not take the time to explain Tawny's, Ruby's, LVB's, and so on right now.  However, I would like to encourage you to start this exploration on your own.  You will find it a very rewarding journey as I have.  As a matter of fact, I have been thinking for years about a collection of different wines, liquors, and beverages but could never decide where to begin.  The decision has been made and my Port collection begins next week.

As Always, Party Well, Eat Better,
Rob

P.S. It's nice to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment