Ad Space For Rent

The Town Accentric: The Food Blog! is now selling Ad Space. Email me at backporchspiceco@ gmail.com for more details.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Another Insanely Good Cut of Pig

Soooo, I was supposed to clean out the gutters this weekend.  In truth, it needs to be done and I really should get to it but cooking a couple of Boston Butts (huh huh..he said Butts) sounded like a better idea than climbing on a ladder, not that ladders bother me, I even have one in the kitchen.

Anyway, I take two 5 lb Boston Butts, I take out the Gigantic Syringe of Flavor and inject them with the following:

1 packet of the Grill Spice & Rub (this is not shamless self-promotion, its just what I used)
1/2 stick butter
About 5-6 good dashes Soy Sauce
1-2 Tbsp Local Honey
While you're at it, Preheat the oven to about 300 Deg.

Melt the butter and add the rest of the ingredients.  Whisk for a while, let it set for a bit, and maybe even microwave it for a moment so its less viscous.

I injected the Hell out of these things and used most of the blend.  I used the rest to rub the outside and then let it sit for a few.  I made another batch and this time I added about 1/2 cup of Homemade Apple Sauce from a friend.  Hold on to that for a bit.

I wrapped the roasts in a couple of layers of foil and set them to slow cooking in the oven.  After about 4 hours I unwrapped them and coated the top and sides with the spice and apple sauce mixture.  I ramped the oven up to 350 and immediately returned the roasts to the oven.  I gave it another hour or so and added a little more of the mixture to the top as the time went.

Then I whipped up a batch of Carolina Style BBQ Sauce.  Which is as follows:

  • 1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard

  • 1/2 cup spicy brown, dijon, or other course mustard

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar

  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar

  • 1/4 cup water

  • 2 tablespoons of my Homemade chili powder

  • 2 teaspoons black pepper

  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

  • 2 tablespoons butter

  • 1/2-3/4 cup fat and juices from the roast


  • Mix the first nine ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium/low heat.  With the sugar and liquids, watch for boil overs.  After this has come together and thickened a bit (about 20 minutes or so) reduce the heat and whisk in the butter.  After this has come together, whisk in the drippings from the roasts.

    Tonight was the launch of the Official Blog and Website.  As I put the finishing touches on things, I gladly made another, rather large plate of chopped roast with a ton of sauce.  We did a small taligate party for our Football Team the other day and I had the left overs of Cole Slaw from another friend. 

    Yeah.......  Fat and Happy........
    Rob

    No comments:

    Post a Comment